The Winter season is incomplete without Gajar ka halwa. So while the chill continues I decided to share my time-tested Gajar Ka Halwa recipe for you to indulge guilt-free with your family! Make sure to let me know your feedback.
|Preparation Time||10 Min.|
|Cook Time||30 Min.|
|Ingredients for the Gajar Ka Halwa
(1cup=200ml, 1 tbsp=15ml)
|6-7 cups (2 ½ Kgs)||Red carrots grated|
|½ cup (100 gms)||Mawa (optional)|
|¼ th cup||Green pistachios for garnish|
|1 tsp||Saffron (Kesar) (dissolved in warm milk)|
|1 tbsp||Elaichi Powder|
Instructions for the Stuffing
|1.||Heat the ghee in a kadhai. Add in grated carrots and stir until carrots are softened. Let the moisture from the carrot evaporate.
|2.||Add in the milk and continue to cook on a slow flame. After a few minutes, the milk will begin to froth first and then start reducing slowly and slowly. Keep stirring and scraping the sides of the kadhai to remove the evaporated milk solids.
|3.||Cook until the mixture reduces by 75%. Now add in sugar and cook.|
|4.||Add in saffron dissolved in milk and elaichi powder. Mix well until halwa starts to thicken and reduces further.|
|5.||When halwa is almost ready add in the mawa and stir for 5-7 minutes.
|6.||Garnish with green pistachios and serve hot.|
1. The addition of mawa is completely optional.
2. Can serve the halwa with vanilla ice cream too.
3. You can easily freeze the halwa for a few months. Just warm before serving.
4. This works best with red tender and juicy carrots which is available only in winter months.
5. Cook this in a heavy iron kadhai.
6. You can even add in carrots first and soften it for a while then add ghee and cook. Then add milk.
Some recipes call for reducing milk and carrot mixture and then adding ghee.